Looking to deepen your engagement? Free Spirit Media seeks energetic and visionary individuals for the following current volunteer opportunities. If you see an opportunity that interests you, GET INVOLVED by sending us a brief message.
FOCUS PLANNING COMMITTEE 2018, Fundraising
Free Spirit Media’s annual FOCUS fundraiser will bring together 300 of Chicago’s film industry and philanthropic leaders to celebrate 17 years of amplifying youth voices. You’re invited to join the Free Spirit Media FOCUS 2018 Planning Committee to help make the event a success!
- Attend monthly meetings (dinner! drinks! sub-committee work!)
- Help define our theme, set goals and throw a fun party to raise money for FSM programs
- Participate on a sub-committee
- Contribute to event sponsorship solicitations
- Spread the word about FOCUS 2018
- Tues., December 19 @ the Ivy Room and at Hootenanny
- Thurs., January 18 @ Free Spirit Media
- Tues., February 13 @ Free Spirit Media
- Tues., March 20 @ Free Spirit Media
- Tues., April 10 @ Free Spirit Media
- Thurs., May 17 @ the Ivy Room and at Hootenanny
- Thurs., May 31 - FOCUS 2018 @ the Ivy Room!
- Digital and print materials
- Social media
- Run of show and program
- Venue and decor
- Youth engagement
FUNDRAISING AT THE EVENT
- Live ask
- Games and activities
SENIOR DOCUMENTARY PROJECT INTERVIEW SUBJECTS, In-School Programs
Two crews of high school documentary filmmakers in FSM classes at North Lawndale College Prep have launched research and outreach for their short documentary films on a variety of social issues.
Watch the student bios here.
NORTH LAWNDALE COLLEGE PREP, CHRISTIANA CAMPUS
Lead Teacher: Keta Glenn, email@example.com
- Poverty [Driving Question: How does poverty affect predominantly minority communities?]
- Police Brutality [Driving Question: How can we improve police relations with black people?]
- Gambling [Driving Question: How does gambling affect the economic well-being of the African American family?]
- The Culture of Catcalling [Driving Question: Can a catcall ever be a compliment?]
- Race Relations: MLK vs. Malcolm X Approach [Driving Question: What is the most effective way to improve race relations?]
- Higher Education [Driving Question: Why is college worth going to if it's so expensive?]
- Animal Cruelty [Driving Question: Should animals be exempt from medical and beauty product testing? Why or why not?]
NORTH LAWNDALE COLLEGE PREP, COLLINS CAMPUS
Lead Teacher: Brandon Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education & Success [Driving Question: Does the level of your education determine your level of success?]
- Homelessness [Driving Question: How are funds allocated to address the homeless epidemic?]
- Racial Stereotypes in the Media [Driving Question: What stereotypes mostly affect teens?]
- Education [Driving Question: What does it mean to be educated?]
- Effective Schools for Troubled Students [Driving Question: What is the best way to discipline high school students?]
- Mass Incarceration [Driving Question:TBD]
- Materialism [Driving Question: Does materialism have a negative impact on today's society?]
Each student will produce their own 8-10 minute film on topics of their choice, working to execute their vision with the FSM teaching staff based at NLCP-Christiana and NLCP-Collins.
See a topic in which you have personal or professional expertise? Open to being interviewed on camera? Get involved and help enrich these budding documentarians’ stories!