The FREE SPIRIT MEDIA INDUSTRY PATHWAYS COHORT TRAINING PROGRAM is a unique opportunity for 10 emerging Chicago-based media makers ages 18-25 to learn fundamental knowledge, build skills and gain the experience necessary to lay a foundation for a successful career in the film, media and TV industries.
The program provides hands-on training from industry professionals, access to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, and opportunities to network and build relationships with industry members. The program will culminate in an apprenticeship and mentor matching fair that connects certified students with relevant and appropriate paid positions in their area of focus.
- 18-25 years old
- High School Graduate
- Previous attendance at one Free Spirit Media Chicago Track event, involvement in another Free Sprit Media Level Three or Four program (Senior Doc, Real Chi Youth, Free Spirit PRO) and/or a recommendation from a teacher or mentor
- Must be an Industry Pathways Member (apply here)
- Have a strong demonstrated interest in and dedication to pursuing a career in the film and media industry
12 WEEK PROGRAM INCLUDES OVER 100 HOURS OF TRAINING:
- 15 hours of professional development in 21st century job readiness skills
- 50 hours of production training in camera, grip, office, PA and post
- 30 hours in pre-production, on set and in post w/ an independent feature film production team
- 15 hours of portfolio and website development, job readiness and interview prep
COHORT MEMBERS WILL RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS:
- Be matched with an industry ambassador who will support them for the following year in carrying out their goals and taking next steps.
- Be eligible to participate in our Summer Apprenticeship Matching Fair that places students in paid internships in production companies, post houses, non-profits, AV studios and newsrooms across the city.
- Be eligible to participate in Free Spirit Media’s lending library where students can check out professional grade cameras and gear for little to no cost.
- Receive complimentary admission and access to a number of film & media membership organizations including IFP Chicago, AbelCine Chicago and Stage 18.
APPLICATIONS OPEN: January 10
PRIORITY APPLICATIONS DUE: January 22 @11:59 PM
FINAL APPLICATIONS DUE: January 26 @ 11:59 PM
PHONE INTERVIEWS: January 28 - January 31
IN-PERSON INTERVIEWS: February 1- February 7
SELECTED COHORT MEMBERS NOTIFIED: February 9
PROGRAM BEGINS: February 19
PROGRAM ENDS: May 19
FINAL SCREENING: June 7